Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Lucky

The question has been asked in my office, and chances are, yours as well.  Would you quit your job is you knocked off the billion dollar plus Powerball jackpot tonight.

My answer is "yes" and let me tell you why.

I love my job, and current management has been great to me.  I still enjoy getting up in the morning (or late at night) and learning what's new in the world, and how to best relate that information to you.  It's a wonderful job.  That's the problem.

There aren't a lot of wonderful jobs out there.  I know a lot of people who have awful jobs in awful places.  They'd kill for what I have.  I'd actually feel guilty hanging to a job that someone needed more than I.

Would I miss it?  Of course.  I'd try to find a way to keep my hand in the biz.  A blog.  A web site.  A podcast.  Limitless possibilities.

I'd love to own a little radio station somewhere.  Being a billionaire would allow me to do that.  Unfortunately, you'd being competing with mega corporations, with dozens of stations.  It's a recipe for bankruptcy, and a way to watch that billion evaporate.

The point is moot.

With one in 292 million odds, I have no plans to buy a ticket.  I'd rather spend the money on something I'd enjoy more-- like a soda or a sandwich.

I'll see you back at work this weekend.