-

-

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Andy's Angles: Empty

Is there anything more sad than an empty mall?

We've done dozens of stories on the troubled Mall at Steamtown.  This is the view of the west end.  I'm standing on the second floor.  Boscov's is at my back.

This photo was taken before the mall opened for the day, but as you can see there are a lot of empty storefronts here.   The far end, on the second floor, will soon be occupied by a branch of Luzerne County Community College.  It seems that here, and other malls, non-traditional tenants are the way to go.

I'm not sure if the mall gave up on retail, or retail gave up on the mall.  I suspect it's a combination of both, and Steamtown, soon to get a new name, is not alone.

Anytime I'm inside, I think back to the early 90's when this mall was hot, and the place to be.  How quickly the bottom fell out of that concept.  I know it's only a shopping mall, but the place held such promise.

If you're looking for interesting reading, there's a great web site called Dead Malls.