Friday, August 19, 2016

I Read the News Today...


Let's build a foundation.

I'm a newsie.  It's still a thrill to get up in the morning, or late night and turn on the computer to learn something I didn't know yesterday.

I cut my teeth as a radio pup when both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre had two distinct and competitive newspapers.  I marveled at how the newspaper reporters were so thorough.  They had to be, had to get every detail because their stories were so much longer than what I was doing on radio.

Even though I spend a big part of my day with my nose pressed to a computer screen, I still buy newspapers-- the print version.

One is delivered, and even after all these years, there's still a feeling of anticipation, a little kick, when I hear the thud of the newspaper landing on the front porch.

There's another newspaper I like.  It isn't delivered where I live, so that is the subject of today's blog entry.

This paper has been slipping, badly, in the circulation department.  Yes, I've e-mailed my complaints.  I understand I'm slightly out of the core market, but this paper has been in stores and racks (coin boxes) very late, if at all.

All the journalism, the features, the ads are worthless unless you can get them in the hands of the readers.  Why is that so difficult to understand?