Monday, August 22, 2016

One Photo

One of the reasons I've always been attracted to photography is the power of the medium.  A photo can stick with you for the rest of your life.

I learn a lot about television, from watching people watch television.  Case in point:  last week at the gym.  My gym is one of those places that features an array of screens.  You just wear ear buds and punch in the desired number.

When the photo below came on one of the screens, it's like the entire place stopped to watch.

It's a little boy, dazed and bloodied after a bomb attack in Syria.  This is the photo that broke millions of hearts around the world.

The photo triggered a lot of memories.  I remember doing stories with a man from Dickson City who used to host kids from Northern Ireland every summer.  The kids had a great time.  No car bombs.  No beatings, shootings or other violence.  it was just a couple of weeks in the summer when kids could be kids.

A friend reminded me of another local who used to bring children from the Soviet Union over for a little while.  They were fascinated most by the supermarket.  No lines for bread.  You could get anything you wanted.

I haven't seen it in the news for a while, but there was a program that brought inner city kids to our area for part of the summer.  I hope it still happens.

At the top of this entry, I noted the power of a photo.  What you see here is at the top of the list.  However, I really doubt it will change much in Syria.