Thursday, January 5, 2017

Transitions

There are certain times of the year that are more transitional than others.

Easter is on the list as we move from winter in to spring.

Labor Day is another as summer gives way to fall.

You have to include Thanksgiving because it ushers in the holiday season.

And then, there is the first week of January.

Christmas decorations are coming down.  I received a Land's End "spring" catalog in the mail.  You can tell the days are getting a little longer.  I saw a Liberty Tax employee dressed as the Statue of Liberty beckoning me to come in.  New faces have been spotted at the gym, even though many will give it up after a month.

This year has some additional elements.  A new president takes office on the 20th, and we could get an early spring.

Every year, I post about the aroma of skunk tells me winter will soon be over.  Skunks get hungry and lonely in the spring, and active skunks signal a change in season.  Get this.  I was walking out to my car New Year's night when I smelled a skunk.  It could be a fluke, or warmer days are ahead.  Although, there is no sign of spring on the latest 7 day forecast I checked.

I'll go back to the tried and true.  The coldest months of the year are December, January and February.  One of those months is gone, We are more than one-third finished with winter.  Pitchers and catchers report to spring training in one more month.  Better days are coming.