Monday, January 30, 2017

Unfinished Monday

Revisiting topics discussed earlier...

LED'S:   It looks like Scranton is transitioning its street lights to led's.  They save energy, but I don't think they're as bright as the lights they're replacing, and it takes more fixtures to do the job.  I bounced my thoughts off someone who works for a big utility.  He agreed.

CRAIG FERGUSON:  Big fan.  Celebrity Name Game has been cancelled.  Late night TV isn't as good without Ferguson on the CBS Late Late Show.  Ferguson soon starts a 6 to 8 PM show on satellite radio.  I love the guy, but I gave up satellite radio a long time ago, and even Craig Ferguson isn't enough to entice me to go back.

CASHIER:    Before Christmas, I wrote about an encounter with a newbie cashier on the overnight shift at one of the big box stores.  She was clearly struggling, and I didn't think she'd make it through the night.  Much to my surprise, I saw her again last week.  She actually helped me maneuver through those horrid self checkout machines.  It's odd.  I'm at this store once or twice a week, and this is the first time I've seen her since that first night.  Maybe she was on another shift.  I'm happy to say I was wrong.  She's a survivor.

THE GYM:    It appears most of the people who joined at the start of the new year have given up, at least at the time I make my thrice weekly visits.  It's too bad.  I thought we had some who would stick around.  They were really "in" to it for a while, and that includes buying snazzy gym wear.  I suspect a few were college kids, looking for something to do during winter break.  They're now back at school.  I don't know about the rest.  It happens every year.

WINTER:    Hey, it's cold!  I recently said it looked like we'd have an early end to winter.  I still could be right, but it doesn't feel that way this week.  Look at it this way:  December, January, and February are the three coldest months of the year.  We've made it through two.

POTHOLES:    The freeze/thaw cycle has opened up some beauties, and it seems like pothole season is here a little earlier than usual.  You can't blame it all on Mother Nature.  The weather seems to have exploited shoddy road work and accelerated the deterioration.

SUNSHINE:  Noreen Clark schooled me.  Warm winters mean a lot of cloudy days.  I was not a big believer in seasonal affective disorder, but the lack of sunshine really does get to you after a while.

TIGER WOODS:   Not a fan of the man, as a human being.  Like everyone else, I was in awe of his abilities.  He owned the tour for a long time.  Age and injuries have taken their toll.  I admire how he's back out on the course, giving it his best shot, pardon the pun.

PRO BOWL:   Why?