Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Election Day

It's primary day, or municipal election day.  Forgive me if I go off on a familiar rant.  You will be electing mayors, council members and school directors today.  These are the people who have a huge influence on your life, your police protection, your taxes, the education of your kids...  And yet, a lot of people blow off going to the polls and stay home.  The people on the ballot today likely have a larger impact than presidents, representatives and senators.

Several row offices are up in the county in which I live.  Most are unopposed, and that sickens me.  The process is broken and good people are sitting on the sidelines.

I expect my standard election day.  A big breakfast.  There will be preview stories on Newswatch 16 This Morning.  After the broadcast, I'll roam about looking at turnout and trends.  There will be a story for our noon broadcast.  I'll then go home, take a nap, and watch my colleagues report the numbers tonight.

Notice something is missing.  I won't vote today.  Regular blog readers will know I'm an independent.  Unless there's a ballot question, I have to sit out primary day.  No complaints.  That's the way the system works.

If you are registered and a member of a party, please vote today.  It really matters.

Look for updates here, on WNEP.com, on my Twitter page, @AndyPalumbo_, on Instagram, andy.palumbo, and on my Facebook page.

Speaking of Facebook, "likes" have taken a nice spike lately.  Thank you and tell a friend.

I have some predictions in mind.  Watch this space tomorrow to see if I was right.

Vote.  Please.  It's important.

>>>2:30 AM UPDATE:  Scripts have been double checked and tweaked.  I looked at a potential live shot location on the way in, and I like it.  As many know, an election morning tradition is to stop for a spicy chicken sandwich at the only 24 hour fast food restaurant that serves it.  The place is known for horrible food and service that's even worse.  However, tradition is tradition.  I don't know if the staff was read the riot act, or there's new management, but today's stop was glorious.  The food was excellent, with speedy service.  Let's hope that continues when I drop by in November.  Now, it's time for a little housekeeping, then in the truck for the morning live shots.

>>>4:45 AM UPDATE:  First live shot done.  Five more to go before the day is done.  We chose Weston Field in Scranton.  Why?  Why not?  I wanted someplace different, and this one is lit up nicely.  It's tough to find something scenic in the middle of the night.  Usually, at this time of day, at a polling place, you get a brick wall and maybe a few signs.  Weston Field is a pretty building.  It's white.  It's bright, and it's a good place to preview the election.

>>>10:00 AM UPDATE:  A flurry of activity...  visiting polling places, talking to voters, texting friends who voted, talking with candidates.  All, to get a handle on turnout.  There are some busy pockets, but it is generally light.  It's not a surprise.  Just slammed a story, went over the script, handed it off to an editor, and it's time to get set for the noon broadcast.

>>>11:30 PM UPDATE:  The noon broadcast was clean, went home, and went to sleep.  I woke up to some surprises.  I'll digest it all in a half hour.