Monday, July 31, 2017

Follow Up Monday


Flash flooding last week brought me to Bradford County for the first time in a long time.

It brought back plenty of memories.  Back in the day, I really enjoyed going to Erie by taking Route 6 just about all the way.  I also freelanced for a great television station in Corning, NY, and if I had some extra time, I took Route 6 to get there.  It is one of America's great roads.  Great scenery, pretty small towns, nice people.

Much of my flash flooding visit was spent off the Route 6 corridor, and cell phone service was absolutely horrible.  I know no one wants a big, ugly cell phone tower for a neighbor, but it's 2017.  There has to be a better way to have better communications.

The next part of this entry might be a little too inside baseball, but here goes.  If you write for a living, you can relate to this.  If not, I hope I do a good job of explaining the phenomenon.

Photographer Jason Wolf and I had great material for our flash flooding story-- amazing video, compelling interviews.  Then, it was all on my plate.  I fired my laptop and talked to Jason about our best video.  Note to kids:  write to the video, best video first.

It happens every once in a while.  My fingers danced on the keyboard.  The words went from my head to the laptop.  They flowed and they flowed fast.  It's like a pitcher working on a perfect game or a bowler on his way to a 300 game.  OK, maybe that's a little overly dramatic.  As I sent the script to the station for approval, I know I had a good piece. 

Approval was swift.  I recorded my voice track and handed it off to Jason for editing.  We were on the same wavelength and he did a fantastic job of putting it all together.

I do tend to drive myself crazy.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have made a couple of minor changes to what I wrote.  Overall, it was darned solid.

Sometimes, you just get in the zone.