Friday, August 25, 2017

Lottery

I'm glad it's over, at least for a little while.

Someone in Massachusetts has a winning ticket for Wednesday night's $758 million Powerball game.

I will admit it makes for good television-- nice sound and pretty pictures of a terminal spitting out tickets, sound bites from people saying what they would do if they win the jackpot.

I dream too, but I don't play.  Yes, it's harmless fun.  The state can use the money.  It's not my thing.  My lottery purchases are confined to scratchers for gifts.

The part I really don't like is how mini marts clog up with lottery ticket purchasers when the jackpots grow.  Hey, all I want to do is get a newspaper and a soda, maybe a sandwich.  A two minute transaction becomes a 15 minute odyssey.

No worries.  Both Mega Millions and Powerball are back down to less than $100 million, but it won't be long before the crowds are back and the TV cameras are there to capture it all.