Monday, September 25, 2017

New

A Newswatch 16 story by Carolyn Blackburne a few weeks ago got me interested.

Wilkes University just moved its communications program into a new building along South Main Street in Wilkes-Barre, and I had to see it.  An e-mail to the radio station manager made it happen, and I thank Kristen Rock for her hospitality.

I didn't want to appear to be the wide eyed tourist that I was, so I didn't take any photos during my visit.  I lifted this one from the WCLH Facebook page.  This is the radio station.  The windows on then left look onto South Main.  The one on the right has a view of a very nice courtyard that connects the newer sections of the campus to what was already there.  There's a speaker outside to people outside can hear what's going on.  It's light and bright and airy, and being so visible affords the chance to build a connection to the community.

A television operation is down the hall, along with the student newspaper, The Beacon.

They have all the technology, and they have all the toys.  More importantly, I had the chance to talk with a few students-- and they're all thrilled with the opportunities presented in the new building.

Thanks to the Wilkes faculty I met during the tour.