Friday, October 6, 2017

Unfinished Friday

I know it fits the definition, and I have yet to hear any objection to its use.  However, I cringe when I hear the word "massacre."  It just sounds so insensitive to me.  Words are powerful tools, and "massacre" does have quite the impact.  I'm sure it will be in my news copy, but I will try to avoid writing it.

I was on the air during the Orlando Pulse nightclub shootings in June of 2016, and I was on the air again during the Las Vegas shootings Monday morning.  It was sickeningly familiar.  First, you hear about the incident.  Then the numbers of victims start coming in.  In both cases-- the numbers were small at first.  Then, there was a drastic and sickening jump.  I wasn't anchoring that day, but I was in the newsroom during the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings.  It was the same thing.  Small numbers at first, and then a gasp inducing jump.

I do make a habit of watching TV and listening to radio shows across the political spectrum-- liberal, conservative, moderate.  I've always believed it makes me a better journalist.  You have to know what everyone is thinking.

As I've said here before, beware of those who think they have all the answers.