Saturday, November 4, 2017

Andy's Angles: Demolition

This is a picture I took one week ago.  St. John the Baptist Church on Sanderson Street in Throop is gone by the time you see this.  The diocese closed it nearly ten years ago.  Throop Borough bought it , but no developer became interested in doing something here.  I get that.  A conversion would have been costly.  There isn't any parking.  In the end, demolition seemed to be the only option.
I grew up several blocks away, and I think I was inside this church only twice.  My family belonged to a church just down the block.  By the way, it's closed too.  So many were sorry to see St. John's go, and I get that, too.

As I walked around the site last week, I thought of all the services, the baptisms, the weddings, the funerals that took place here.  It's sad.