Saturday, January 27, 2018

Andy's Angles: Lookie Loo

Even after all these years, one of the hardest things for me to do is watch from the sidelines when a big story breaks.  This week, it was ice jams in Luzerne and Wyoming Counties.  The story developed on my days off.  WNEP has a big staff, and the ice jams were well covered-- even without my help.

I'm always tempted to go down and take a look, but I want to set a good example.  Sightseers often get in the way.  I can't preach against it while doing it myself.  I compromised, and went in the middle of the night, when no one was around.

This shot was taken around 3:45 am Thursday morning.  The ice had broken.  The Susquehanna River was flowing, and the level was dropping.  This is the view from the Water Street Bridge, on the Pittston side, looking over in to West Pittston.

It's tough to tell from the photo, but the river was still running high, not far from touching the underside of the bridge.  Some homes on the west side took on water during the day.  It could have been much worse.