Friday, February 16, 2018

In Awe

One of the things that has tickled me the most as I have matured in this business is the number of people I've worked with, and competed against, who have gone on to work at big city TV and radio stations, and networks.

It's a long list, and I'm thrilled for their success.  One gets singled out today:  Jason Knapp.

Jason had the desk next to mine at the old, old, old WYOU, back when it was on Lackawanna Avenue in downtown Scranton.  We got along well because we both liked to keep our work areas neat.  I was an occasional member of the sports department, having worked as high school football sideline reporter for parts of five seasons.  I also handled a Friday night assignment when we needed help.

Jason went on to do some great things-- including college football play-by-play.  His latest assignment has me stricken with awe.

NBC is using Jason for its Olympic coverage, as it has before.  Jason is calling curling.  I know a lot of people like the sport.  I can't figure it out, and I don't find it all that interesting.  Sorry.  However, I am glued to the TV when Jason is calling a contest.  He manages to make it interesting, knowing every nuance, rule, and strategy.  He also has that skill so many play-by-play people lack.  Jason knows how to get the best out of the expert commentators.

Jason Knapp, I'm proud to know you.