Wednesday, March 28, 2018

A Proud Voter

It's happened again.

I like Jeff Glor.  He is the new anchor of the CBS Evening News, and does a very good job.  In an interview with "Watch!," Glor said he doesn't vote.

I hate to hear that.  ABC's Charlie Gibson said he didn't vote until after he retired, and that broke my heart.

I have never missed an election in which I have been eligible to vote.  Being an independent severely limits my participation in primaries.  I fully believe it's possible to have opinions, but leave them at home.  Once I walk in the station door, neutrality rules.  I read a long time ago that you can't be objective, but you can be fair.

What about all those kids who marched Saturday?  Whether or not you agree with them, they all stressed the importance of voting.  It was moving.  How can you watch that and still stay home on election day?  Or walk past the polling place on your way to work?

Voting is a privilege and I do not take it lightly.  I also love my job.  Voting and journalism can co-exist.  You just have to build a wall between the two.  It can be done.