Friday, May 11, 2018

Follow Up Friday

I've told you in the past how I feel old Johnny Carson shows on WNEP2 are better than any of the current late night offerings.

It's funny how Carson introduced so many comics as the "next big rising star" had a "Tonight" show appearance-- and then disappeared.  To be fair, there were more than a few successes.

In a similar vein, I still marvel at the production values of the old "American Top 40" shows, hosted by Casey Kasem.  There were so many songs that hit the charts, stayed there for a little while-- and failed to become enduring hits that we still hear today.

Getting back to late night comedy for a moment, TBS is cutting Conan O'Brien's show to 30 minutes next year.  More pre recorded comedy, fewer interviews.  It took me a long time to warm up to Conan.  He always tried to be funnier than his guests, a major sin.  The act has matured, and there are many nights Conan is very fun and watchable.  I think if he had the "Tonight" show now, Conan would hit it out of the park.

A new book about the life and death of Robin Williams is coming out.  I've read excerpts.  Just when you thought the story couldn't get more sad...   If you haven't seen it already, check out David Letterman's 2014 tribute to Robin Williams on YouTube.

Last week, I told you how I botched my first bike ride while wearing a GPS watch.  I didn't hit the right button.  Well, I got it figured out this week, and it did a nice job of tracking my route and my mileage.  I had a rough idea of the mileage because I tracked the route with my car a few years ago.  The watch backed up what I learned in the car.