Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Media Wednesday

Charles Krauthammer and Richard Valeriani both died last week.  Krauthammer was a conservative writer and commentator.  Valeriani was an NBC News correspondent.  Both made significant contributions to their crafts.

New York City radio legend Dan Ingram died Sunday.  83.  He did afternoons for years.  There was a short stint in the morning when WABC was faltering.  He was a dj's dj, if you know what I mean.  I vividly remember one of Ingram's anniversary shows.  They played "To Sir with Love" by Lulu.  The song ended.  Ingram then said "The truth be known, I never liked that song."  I nearly fell out of the chair.  He broke a major DJ rule.  Never criticize the music your station plays.  Ingram could get away with it.  CBS Radio tried syndicating a weekly countdown show with Ingram as the voice.  The hook-- the top 40, in three hours.  Casey Kasem took four hours to do his top 40.  Ingram talked fast.  He talked less.  Some songs were faded out early.  I don't think it lasted two years.

My former coworker, Shauna McNally, won an Emmy Saturday night.  She's a producer at WJLA in Washington, DC.  I'm thrilled.  Great person and great journalist.

I was watching Martin Short on an old Johnny Carson show recently.  Why wasn't/isn't he a bigger star?  The guy was a scream-- impressions, singing, etc.  There were rumors Short and Dana Carvey were under consideration for talk shows way back when. It never happened, and I think I know why.  Both Carvey and Short are doing characters.  When you're doing a talk show, you have to play yourself, and that isn't easy.

This is a little late, but I'm very proud of the way my co-workers performed during the Wilkes-Barre Township and Bradford County tornadoes.  Difficult logistics, but they got it done.

ABC will do Roseanne without Roseanne this fall.  Good solution to the problem.  I can't say I'm all that interested.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre received a very brief mention in the Brockmire season 2 finale last week.

It's now a done deal.  Allie LaForce leaves CBS for Turner's NBA coverage.  Good move for TBS and TNT.

Am I the only person in America who regularly looks at his LinkedIn account?

FOX Sports Radio did a nice job covering the NBA draft last week.  CBS Sports Radio has some of the better weekend shows.