Sunday, July 1, 2018

About the Cover: Wayne County Courthouse

This month's blog header is one of my favorite buildings in one of my favorite towns-- the Wayne County Courthouse in Honesdale.

As noted earlier, this is where I covered my first outside news story as a young radio reporter, in March 1982.  I had been with WARM nearly one year when the news director thought I should take the next step.  It was a homicide trial.  I was in over my head, but Terry McNulty was afternoon news anchor during that era, and he guided me through.  I couldn't have done it without him.

In the past, I've described Honesdale as one of those places you expect to see Andy Taylor walking out of the courthouse and Opie riding his bike around town.  That is not an insult.  Honesdale has some small town, old style charm.

On the other hand, PennDOT really needs to do something about those speedways running through the borough, and the county needs to embark on trimming back the trees that hide the front of the courthouse.