Wednesday, September 5, 2018

App Hazard

Remember the old days?  You would be in a store.  Someone in the checkout line in front of you would attempt to pay with a credit card or a check, and it would stall the process.  You'd be stuck in that line for an eternity while the clerk completed the transaction.

Fast forward to 2018.  Credit card payment is a breeze.  You don't even have to sign!  By the way, that process was deemed silly a long time ago.  When was the last time you saw a cashier check a signature?

Checks?  No one uses them.

The current scourge of the check out line is paying via smart phone app.  Great idea.  Bad practice.  I don't do it, but I've watched others.  It never seems to work on the first try, and the poor kids behind the counter, especially in mini marts, seem overwhelmed by the process.  The ice in my drink is melting and my blood pressure is shooting up while I wait for the guy in front of me to pay for his Camels using his phone!

Like anything else, I'm sure technology will improve.  Smart phones will get even smarter, and paying by app will be a speedy process.  It can't happen soon enough.