Monday, September 24, 2018

Back to School

I went back to school for one day last week.  It was for a class on emergency preparedness, and I hope to write volumes on that class one of these days.

Nostalgia aplenty.  The class wasn't conducted by my alma mater, Marywood University, but it was held on its beautiful campus on the Scranton/Dunmore line.

A couple of things jumped out at me.  First, I still have the ability to concentrate on one topic for several hours at a time.  Second, I retain the capability to irritate instructors.

We had a decent sized lunch break, so I used the opportunity to stroll about campus on a beautiful fall day, grab a cold soda, and sit in one of the quiet lounges.  As an aside, how many people are working, or not working, at Marywood these days?  There was an enormous line in the new library snack bar, and the one in the book store wasn't much better.  Slow.  Inefficient.  Frustrating.  I was glad I wasn't in a hurry.

I enjoyed the lounge experience.  It was dead quiet, as it was most days during my time in school.  Back then, I sat on a couch and went over notes between classes.  Last week, it was checking e-mails and texting a few friends.

Times change.  The subject material wasn't even close to being on the radar when I was in school, but I really did enjoy being back in an academic atmosphere.