Thursday, October 25, 2018

Soup Weather

It's funny how something will get into your head and stay there.

A few weeks ago, during one of our weekend morning broadcasts, I told meteorologist Valerie Smock that it was "soup weather."  I've been craving it ever since.

A few admissions here:  I don't make my own.  Some of the canned stuff is excellent, even though it's basically a sodium delivery device.  Yes, I love ramen noodles in styrofoam cups, even though it really isn't good for you.  I don't like "cream of..." anything.  I'm a brothy guy, not a creamy one.  I'm a big fan of chicken noodle and chicken with rice.

As I was wandering through the supermarket the other day, I spied cans of "tomato with rotini."  I tossed a couple of cans in my cart along with my favorite, chicken tortilla.  Excellent.

I should add that while canned soup is economical, it really isn't that cheap snack it used to be.  Cans of the better stuff have topped $2.  I remember the 39 cent days.  Yes, compared to other options, it's still economical.

One other thing-- the canned soup industry is struggling.  Apparently, millennials turn up their noses at the stuff, and I was that way for a long time.  Just try it!

This is the time of year reality sets in.  It's cold, and getting colder.  Winters are long and hard.  A bowl of soup makes it a little easier to take.