Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Media Notes

Once again, people are asking a lot of questions I just cannot answer at this time.  In fact, very few have the answers.  The broadcast industry is undergoing a series of huge changes.  It will all play out in the weeks to come.

NBC Sports Radio is giving up 24/7 programming at the end of the year.  It will keep a few hours each day, plus two little updates each hour.  NBC Sports Radio had an affiliate in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area a few years ago.  It didn't last long.  My overall impressions of the network?  It wasn't bad, but no reason to turn a dial.  ESPN Radio is a little too hard core for me.  Other than 2 to 6 am and Dan Patrick's morning show, FOX Sports Radio doesn't have much to offer.  Rich Eisen in the afternoon isn't bad.  CBS Sports Radio is really good on the weekends.  Since FOX Sports Radio dropped JT the Brick in the evenings, I've been spending more time with the New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago all news stations.

I've been looking at the latest batch of radio ratings from across the country, and it warms my heart when I see news stations doing well.  In fact, an all news station is at the top of the heap in Washington, DC.

Speaking of ratings, NFL ratings are recovering from their dip last year.  Some say it's because that whole Star Spangled Banner kneeling controversy has died down.  It might be part of it, but not the whole thing.

I find myself mildly interested in the Deal or No Deal reboot.

I say it every year because it is worth repeating.  Kudos to the agency that produced the Toys for Tots public service announcements.

I'm sorry he was there to discuss the death of an ex president, but it was great to see former ABC News correspondent Sam Donaldson Sunday.  Donaldson was interviewed on CNN.  There are those who will argue, but "This Week with David Brinkley," when Sam Donaldson, Cokie Roberts and George Will were on the panel might have been the best show ever of its type.

The Bob Dole salute and Sully the dog are the two unforgettable video moments from the Bush funeral.  I’m sure there’ll be others as Americans say farewell to their 41st president.