Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Farewell

The remnants of the Tappan Zee Bridge were blown up last week.  Good riddance!

It crosses the Hudson River at one of its widest points, about 25 miles north of New York City.  It was replaced last year by a new and wider bridge.

I hated the Tappan Zee Bridge.  Long before Interstate 84, this was the way you got to Connecticut.  Aunt Mary and Uncle Al lived in Bridgeport, and there were occasional visits in the 60's and 70's.

I do not like big bridges over water.  It hasn't risen to the phobia level, because I have crossed the Hudson in other places, like the Newburgh and Poughkeepsie areas.  I've driven the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the Key Bridge in Maryland.  I'll do it.  I don't like it.

I'm sure my dislike for the Tappan Zee has something to do with Bridgeport.  It was an awful place way back when.  Dirty.  Crime ridden.  Scary.  I associate the bridge with Sundays in Bridgeport.  I hear the city has improved.  I'll take their word for it.  Uncle Al and Aunt Mary left us many years ago, so there is no reason to ever go back.

Watching those big bridge pieces hit the Hudson last week made me smile.