Sunday, February 10, 2019

Andy's Angles: Stop the Presses

I was yammering on recently about newspapers and "blue streak" editions.  Many of those blue streaks came out of this building.  For years, it was the headquarters of the Sunday "Scrantonian" and the daily morning "Tribune."

The building is on North Washington Avenue in Scranton right next to city hall.  As you can see, Fidelity Bank is here now.

I remember going inside the day the newspaper closed, watching so many friends and people I people cleaning out their desks.  It was so sad. 

It was a strange set up back in the day.  The Tribune and the Scranton Times did the heavy lifting when it came to vote totals on election nights.  My station, WARM 590, bunked with the Tribune.  I'd be given an office to work out of for the evening.  I don't remember his first name, but it was always the work space of Mr. Sheposh.  I think he was controller or something like that, and I enjoyed my nights there.

To this day, I cannot look at this building without thinking of all the history produced here.