Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Thank You!

It has long been established here that I work odd hours and live at mini marts.  There aren't a lot of food and drink choices at 2 am.  I have also repeatedly pointed out that a tiny gesture can make a huge difference in your day.

I felt the need for a giant soda on my way to work yesterday morning, as if my stomach needed more acid due to worry about the approaching snow and ice storm.  I ducked in to a store I've hit several times before, but it wasn't one of my usual stops.  I filled my cup with icy caffeinated goodness,  and made my way to the counter, cash in hand, along with my loyalty card.

The clerk, a mountain of a man I had never met before, scanned my card and told me to keep my cash in my pocket.  I had earned enough points for a freebie.  This has happened many, many, many times before, because of my diet soda addiction, and I gave him my standard response:  "That's the best thing that's going to happen to me today."  I'm not lying of exaggerating.  Often, a free soda is the overwhelming highlight of my day.

The clerk responded:  "No it won't be.  Something better will happen to you today."  I said I hoped he was right.  I thanked him for the free soda and made my way toward the door.  He added a "bless you."

I thought about it on the way to work.  I love my free soda, but I do have a lot for which to be thankful.  A cat who is happy to see me.  A roof over my head.  A great job with fantastic people.  Some people close to me are battling health problems, so every day is an enormous gift.

Mr. Mini Mart Clerk, thank you for the free soda.  Thank you even more for helping me count my blessings.