Tuesday, March 5, 2019

I Read the News Today...

I love reading college newspapers.  First of all, there are a great source of story ideas.  Second, I like seeing what young people are thinking about, what concerns them.

I hasten to add that I would have loved to have worked on my school's newspaper, but I was a long haired rock and roll playing disc jockey.  The newspaper back then was under the domain of the English department, and the broadcasters were beneath them.  I am happy to report that it has changed.

A recent opinion piece left me shaking my head.  The school is irrelevant, and I'll explain that in a moment.  A student wrote a piece complaining about the food expense and the lack of grab and go breakfast sandwiches on campus.

If that's the most important thing in your world, then life is pretty good.  A little advice-- set your alarm for 15 minutes earlier and make your own sandwich.

Let me tell you something.  Our area has a dozen colleges and universities, probably more.  I've been reading student newspapers for decades.  Every week, you can find at least one story, in one of those papers, complaining about the campus food and the parking.

Enjoy it while you can.  The real world is coming.