Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Election Day!

It's primary election day, and as I write this, my assignments today are still in a state of flux.

I know I yammer on about this before every off-year election.  Turnout will be down and that's sad.  There is no reason for that.  You are electing supervisors, mayors, council members, commissioners, school board members, etc...  These are the people who have an impact on your taxes, your police, your municipal services and your kids' education.  This election will likely have more of an influence on your life than the presidential election.  Go out and vote.

I'll be watching this one from the sidelines.  Independents can't vote today.  There is a move afoot to change that.  I don't see it happening.  That is another story for another time.

Look for updates here today.  Facebook and Twitter, too.

I'll go home after my shift ends today, take a nap, and watch the Newswatch 16 team get you the latest numbers and the reaction tonight.

I have some ideas on how things will end tonight.  Look for a little analysis in this space tomorrow.

VOTE!  Please!

>>>2:30 AM UPDATE:   Breaking news!  I skipped my traditional election morning breakfast of a fast food spicy chicken sandwich and fries.  I wasn't feeling it, and yesterday was a very long day.  I'll tell that story one of these days.  I did hit the office a half hour early.  Some election preview stories were banged out yesterday.  I came in to tweak, record the audio, and hand them over to editor Jason.  Hang on.  It's just beginning.

>>>4:15 AM UPDATE:   Skipping the traditional spicy chicken sandwich was a mistake.  The Pop Tarts at the office just didn't get it done, and I'm hungry.  Be that as it may, this update comes to you from WNEP truck 26, my home for the next several hours.  Photographer Jason is setting up a camera and lights outside a polling place in Wilkes-Barre.  See you on Newswatch 16 This Morning, beginning at 4:30 AM

>>>9:00 AM UPDATE:    Sorry for the gap.  It got busy there for a while.  Polling places opened at 7.  Wilkes-Barre looked active.  I interviewed both candidates for the Democratic nomination for mayor.  Look for the story on Newswatch 16 at Noon.  Writing and editing momentarily.

>>>9:48 AM UPDATE:   There are times when a story isn't focused in your head, but it flows when your fingers hit the keyboard.  This one was a breeze, and I have to admit that I surprised myself.  Editor Bonnie takes it from here.  Below is a screen grab from our noon story.  Tony George on the left, and George Brown, campaigning in the same place at the same time this morning.


>>>10:30 AM UPDATE:    Bonnie has finished editing and has moved on to other tasks.  Time to monitor social media and talk with crews in the field to learn what's going on out there.

>>>11:45 AM UPDATE:  It's almost time to call it a day.  I usually vote on the way home, but independents are on the sidelines today.  If you are eligible, please go out and vote.  From what I understand, most turnout is on the light side today, so it shouldn't take long.  I'll watch the returns tonight, and look for a little analysis in this space tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.