Friday, May 17, 2019

Father Time

I think most people are aware of their own aging.  At my stage, you start looking at those retirement savings accounts a little more carefully.  You live and die with every stock market fluctuation.

I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around other people getting older.  Howard Stern has a new book, and the King of All Media has been on an interview blitz.

Stern is 65.

I remember sneaking out to my news car in the early 80's, while covering a homicide trial in Milford, to catch Stern on WNBC during court breaks.  That's a long time ago.

By the way, Stern is positioning himself as a kinder and gentler individual.  I hope he is sincere.  While the racier elements of his radio shows receive the vast majority of the attention, Stern is one of the best interviewers out there.  Fearless.

The other person's age that snuck up on me is Britney Spears.  She will be 38 in December!  38!  Now, 38 is not old, but it seems like yesterday that I was trying to get the attention of the control room crew at the old TV 22, 30 years ago,  while a Britney video was on one of the monitors.  It was a losing battle, and I understand why.  The woman lights up a screen.

Spears has had more than her share of problems over the years.  I hope her late 30's and beyond are kind to her.