Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Vacation Season

A coworker and I were talking about vacations the other day.  This was the first time we worked together out on the road, and she was curious about my likes and dislikes.

I will admit, she nailed it when she said I appear to be a person who doesn't like people and crowds.  Yes, I'm not a beach guy.

I did say that I was fond of Baltimore for a long time, but it's gone down hill.  the Inner Harbor has become far too touristy, with a lot of things you can find in other places.  It lost its uniqueness.  The thing that really turned me against it had nothing to do with the city itself.  That's where I was on 9/11/01.  I went back the next year, and it was just too creepy, and that was my last visit to Baltimore.

My other favorite vacation thing to do was travel across Route 6 to Erie, stare at the lake for a few days and return.  If you haven't done it, Route 6 is one of America's great roads, with beautiful small towns along the way.  Fantastic scenery.  I'd take Routes 86 and 17 across the southern tier of new York on the way home.  It wasn't quite as scenic, but it does have its charm.  There would always be a visit with friends in Corning along the way.

As the years passed, I've become happy with venturing out as far as my back porch.  It's good enough for me.