Saturday, July 6, 2019

Andy's Angles: The Kirby

Above is an early morning photo of the FM Kirby Center for the Performing Arts on Public Square in downtown Wilkes-Barre.

Back when this was the rotting Paramount Theater, WARM did a day's worth of broadcasts here,l promoting the effort to turn the old theater in to what you see now.  I was proud we could help get the ball rolling.  During the day, I had the opportunity to wander around inside and take a good look around.  Fascinating place.  They don't build them like that any more.

I will admit to not being a fan of the modern awning and lighted zipper running across the front.  I didn't think it fit with the character of the building when it was installed, and time has not changed my opinion.  The lights do add some vitality to the square, so there is at least one positive here.

I'm glad it was saved.  Can we do the same with the Irem Temple, the rest of the Stegmaier complex,  and the Market Street train station?  Please?