Saturday, July 20, 2019

One Small Step

This weekend marks the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing.  It was one of my first "where were you when" moments.

I think the first was the RFK assassination in 1968.  It was a ritual in my house growing up:  "CBS Morning News" at 7.  "Captain Kangaroo" at 8.

I remember watching the black and white images of a wounded Kennedy on a Los Angeles hotel kitchen floor, but I remember the moment more from my parents reaction.  Sad.  Horrified.

The Apollo 11 landing was a much different story.  Awe.  You might find this hard to believe, but I was a geeky kid.  I was "in" to books, and listening to the radio, and watching television.  The
Apollo 11 mission was a week of unmitigated joy.

The Apollo glory moments were late at night and early in the morning.  I remember my parents allowing me to stay up late, watching the landing and moon walk sprawled out on the foot of their bed, viewing Armstrong, Aldren, and Cronkite on a black and white portable TV.  It was always Cronkite.  I can still see that TV.  It was big for a portable.  General Electric.  Blue case.  Antenna on top.

I don't remember how long I was able to keep my eyes open, but those awake moments were unforgettable.

Man's greatest adventure.  A kid's memory of sharing a special moment and history with the family.