Friday, August 23, 2019

Forbidden Territory

I assume it hasn't changed but for years the TV news policy in the Pleasant Valley School district could be summed up in one word:  NO!

We tried to do feature stories.  We tried to do serious stories.  No dice.  It's too bad.  There are stories in every school district that need to be told, kids doing good things, educators meeting challenges.

Pleasant Valley didn't want to play.

In a way, I get it.  They there to educate the kids.  They are there to protect the kids.  Things out of their control, like TV news, are the enemy.

It doesn't have to be that way.

Much to my shock, we were allowed in the high school Tuesday morning, when the owners of  a company that employs many people with special needs talked with the faculty and staff.  It turned out to be a pretty good piece, and the people at the school couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating.

Is the cold war over?  I raise a skeptical eyebrow.  No students were in the building Tuesday morning, and I'm sure the old policy will be in effect when the school year really starts.

Above is the high school auditorium, an impressive facility.  I just hope I get a chance to see it again, and I hope you're along for the ride.