Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Roll Out the Barrel

A supermarket I visit on occasion recently remodeled.  I hadn't been there in a while, so what I saw on a recent visit really startled me.

There is a section, a giant section, carved out right down the middle of the store and it's devoted to beer and wine.  Coolers and shelves, fully stocked with just about every brand under the sun.  The beer and wine section occupies valuable store real estate.

A beer-centric mini mart recently opened near me, and a big chain mini mart just up the road reopens this week, after a renovation to accommodate seating and big beer coolers.

I have no problem with the responsible use of alcohol.

It's abundantly clear that northeastern Pennsylvanians love their beer, and retailers will spend big money to get it in to your belly.