Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Christmas Came Early

You take a lot of calls when you're in the media.

I had a regular, usually very early Sunday mornings.  It was clearly a woman with special needs.  She was a fan and just wanted to say hello for a few minutes.  Our conversations were mostly small talk, family, friends, the past week, the week on the way, and so on.

No matter, how busy I was, I always had a couple minutes to chat.  She reminded me of a woman back in my radio days.  She lived on Butler Street in Wilkes-barre.  She was lonely and just needed to hear a friendly voice for a few minutes.

Back to 2019.

My calls stopped a few months ago.  Nothing.  Zero.  Not a peep.  I feared a health issue, or even worse.

Then, a week ago, she called.  I was relieved.  She explained there was a health issue and some moving around.  It was great to hear her voice.

Conventional wisdom has me helping her by listening.  It's actually the other way around.

Merry Christmas.