Monday, December 9, 2019

The Christmas Letter

Once again, my toughest task of the Christmas season isn't buying and wrapping gifts.  It's not dealing with holiday traffic.  It's not dealing with crushing depression.  It's a simple letter.

I do this every year, and let me refresh your memory.  My college friend, Sue sends a card and letter every year.  Sue is a great girl and she deserves the wonderful life she has.  It's maddening to come up with a response to the letter.

As always, I share the first draft with you.

Dear Sue:

Thank you for the card and letter.  It is one of the highlights of my holiday season.  I'm glad it was another great year for you and the family.  Looks like you had a great time on those vacations and I'm glad the kids are doing well.

Me?  I'm okay.

My iron man streak of more than two years without a sick day ended in the spring.  A stomach ailment did me in.  I hadn't experienced pain like that in a while.

My pen and tie collecting has thankfully slowed down.

I made some new friends.  Nice.  I lost some old friends.  Not nice.  Father time claimed a few.  the others are difficult to explain.

It was an off year for bike riding.  The weather wasn't the greatest when I had some free time.  My little town is getting new water mains, and the streets were ripped up for most of the summer.  As for the patch job, I'm not sure if an actual road crew or vandals are responsible.  It's winter and the roads are still a mess.  It will be a long, bumpy, and muddy wait until spring.

There is a different name at the bottom of my pay checks and a different corporate name at the top.  They seem like decent folk, and I'm looking forward to great things in the new year.

My blog, andypalumbo.com, turned 15.  I took some decent photos this year, but not yearly enough.  There is a new lens in my bag, and I look forward to mastering it in the new year.

My cats seem happy, and I'm convinced one of them has my password and visits Chewy.com on a regular basis.  The boxes keep coming.

Credit cards I wasn't using were cancelled.  I still spend way too much on cable TV, and I rarely watch it.

I reconnected with a couple more high school friends, but it wasn't enough for me to attend our 40th reunion last month.

I acquired a pair of eyeglasses and a computer mouse I really like.

There was only one weekend spent in a hotel next to the office because of a snowstorm.  I went stir crazy.

There were wonderful expeditions to the local malls and dollar stores.  I look forward to more visits in the coming year.

I managed to survive renovations of my favorite gym and mini mart (separate businesses).

Unfortunately, I can't find a wallet I really like.

For the first time in years, I skipped the Christmas tree lighting at our alma mater, Marywood.  I just wasn't feeling it.  The Christmas spirit seems more elusive than usual this year.  It pains me to say that and I can't figure it out.  I still have so much for which to be thankful.

Well, that's my  2019.  At this time of year, I realize how blessed and thankful I am for everything I have.

I hope we both have a great 2020.

Your friend in Pennsylvania,

Andy.