Friday, January 24, 2020

Heal Thyself

There was a fascinating guest editorial in the Times~Leader this week.  It was written by a doctor, who was alarmed over the increasing number of Americans who no longer have a primary care physician.

The writer blamed some of that on the increased appearance of walk in medi-clinics and the internet.  In a refreshing twist, he also placed some of the blame on the medical industry,  and primary care physicians who have become less responsive to patients' needs.

I've written about my issues with the medical industry in this space before.  I had one doctor, who I loved, close a practice with very short notice.  The medical group this doctor belonged to really didn't seem to care what became of the patients.

I called one doctor, who wanted me to apply to become a patient.  Pass.

Others seemed more interested in my insurance than my needs.  Pass.

I found a nice, little, small town practice.  There were a few years of happiness.  He then closed it, and moved in with one of the giant companies.  Pass.

I didn't drop my primary care physician.  He dropped me.