Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Prince of Darkness

Let's review.

I tell you ad nauseum that I hate Black Friday, I don't like Independence Day noise, I'm not fan of Christmas and New Year's mayhem...  and the last two weeks in January are among my least favorite of the year.

Here's why January is on my "you know what" list..  Even though the days are getting longer and the sun is a little stronger, it's still pretty dark out there.  The Christmas decorations and lights are down.  It's dismal.

There is a little "light" at the end of the tunnel.  It seems like an increasing number of people decorate for Valentine's Day.  It's nice to see strings of red lights on front porches.  I've noticed a relatively new trend of light blue light strings on homes.  I assume that notes the snow, ice, and cold of winter.  I like it!  It's a tough time of year to find anything bright.

Speaking of lights, I see the city of Scranton and the newspaper have finally noticed what I've been complaining about here for months-- the darkness of downtown Scranton, especially Lackawanna Avenue.  Some fixes are on the way, and you need more.

There is another late January issue-- the cold and the snow.  All the lights in the world can't fix that.  The worst will soon be over.  The average daily highs and lows bottom out soon, and the climb begins February 1.