Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Evolution

Friday's passing of Kenny Rogers started me thinking...

Some of you might remember me as an incredibly mediocre radio DJ 40 years ago..  It was great experience.  The ad libbing and timing skills proved valuable as I advanced down the career trail.

It took me a while, years ago, to wrap my head around the fact that many of the songs I played new were now oldies.

And now, many of the artists I played are no longer with us.  Kenny Rogers is the latest on the list.

I can't say I was a huge Kenny Rogers fan, but I did like "Just Dropped In."  By the way, fantastic lyrics, written by Mickey Newburry.  Rogers' tunes were catchy and endearing.  Pop fans loved him.  Country fans loved him.  He was a true crossover artist and I respect that.

Kenny Rogers was 81.