Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The First

You know you're old when you remember the first Earth Day.

It was 50 years ago today, April 22, 1970.

Earth Day was a big deal way back when.  Cronkite's "CBS Evening News" had jumped on the bandwagon and was doing regular environmental reports.  It was the hot topic in "My Weekly Reader," one of the highlights of third grade.

An aside-- I really loved "My Weekly Reader."  Yes, I was a news junkie, even as a kid.  It promoted reading and a knowledge of current events.  I do know some schools regularly have students peruse newspapers.  There are television newscasts aimed at young people, but it's not the same as actually reading something.  You would be amazed at how many young people I encounter who have no knowledge of the world around them.  That's criminal.  Shame on the students, and shame on the schools who aren't promoting things like that.

End of sermon.

In recent years, I've always felt that Earth Day is one of those "one and done" observances.  Environmental issues are front and center for one day.  We then go back to living our normal lives when it's over.

Let's try to be different this year.