Thursday, June 25, 2020

I Wonder


I will admit that I don't have a dog in this fight.  Yet, education has always fascinated me.

Let's build a foundation.  Above is Marywood University's relatively new library.  As I have said in the past, it's the wrong building in the wrong place.  It doesn't fit in with the historical building in  proximity.  It's a soulless knife that slices the campus in half.

Done.

Marywood is usually quiet in the summer, as are most college campuses.  Still, it made me sad to see buildings dark and sidewalks empty.

The building was built with plenty of open spaces and room for collaboration.  As you know by now, we currently live in a world of distancing.  A new building is suddenly out of date.  A plus is, it's big enough where you can get your work done and still be an arm's length away from another student.  Every problem has a solution.

I'm not picking on my alma mater.  I'm sure every college and university in the world is facing a similar challenge.

Regardless of how I feel about the building, it does make me sad.  College is all about a social life and relationships.  We had the communication major's table in the old coffee shop.  There were hours spent in the cramped, old radio station area, hanging with the other dj's. talking about music and the business.

Now, we're advised to stay away from each other.

Of course, a vaccine gets us out of this.

The question now is "When?"