Monday, July 20, 2020

Media Monday

Grant Imahara died last week.  He was just 49.  Imahara is best known for his work on "Mythbusters."  I loved the "Mythbusters" concept, but the producers had a nasty habit of taking a ten minute bit and stretching it out in to an hour.  Plus, there was never enough Kari Byron.  I loved Imahara's enthusiasm. Here is what put him over the top in my book.  Grant Imahara designed Geoff Peterson, Craig Ferguson's robot skeleton sidekick on "The Late Late Show."  Of course, Josh Robert Thompson brought Geoff to life.  That is another story for another day.

The newspapers and newscasts have been filled with brick and mortar stores closing because of the current situation.  You know it's bad when QVC cuts its staff.  Four on-air people lost their jobs last week. I'm sure some behind the scenes people were jettisoned as well.  It's very sad.

Kudos to the sports talk radio hosts who kept the balls in the air when there was no sports to talk about.  A few still produced entertaining broadcasts, while not being maudlin.

ABC's "World News Tonight" is the most watched broadcast in America.  Period.  More people watch the news than prime time these days.  We need information.

There are a couple old "Three on a Match" game show episodes on YouTube.  It was one of Bill Cullen's best games.  Blessedly simple, and easy to play at home.

"Dancing with the Stars" dumped Tom Bergeron as host after 15 years.  First, I never watched the show.  Second, judging by earlier work, I think Tom Bergeron is fantastic.  Third, I can see the need to freshen things up.  Tyra Banks is the new host and executive producer.  This is a show that lives or dies on the strength of the contestants.  Good luck!

There have to be at least a dozen major streaming services out there.  My total subscriptions:  0.  Perhaps, I need to qualify that.  I am an Amazon Prime person and I have access to its shows.  Other than one documentary and a few old game shows, I haven't used it.

Shepard Smith, formerly of FOX News, has signed on to do a prime time newscast on CNBC.  It starts this summer.  Wow!  So many challenges here.  Smith has to get people to start thinking of CNBC as a place for non-business news.  He has to establish a newscast that isn't tainted by the liberal umbrella of MSNBC.  Good luck!  Again.  I just have a feeling CNBC is temporary a parking place for Smith until the network has an opening somewhere else, like "Today" or "Nightly News."