Friday, November 6, 2020

About the Cover: The Bridge

 

It was a familiar trip, yet different.

First, the differences.  No matter how many times I have photographed the Tunkhannock Viaduct, also known as the Nicholson Bridge, I see something different.  Plus, this was my first trip there with my relatively new 24 mm wide angle lens.  I wanted to see what it could do, using a variety of settings and f stops.

It was a beautiful Sunday morning where I live, so I jumped in the car with my camera bag, looking forward to a great morning.  It started going down hill when I got off Interstate 81 north at Route 374.  Fog.  Low clouds.  This has happened to me before.  A nice morning in one county is a grey mess in an adjacent one.  It was still foggy when I made the turn on to Route 92 south.  I knew the trees were past their peak, but that was OK.  I was there for the bridge and that lens test.

The fog cleared a bit when I arrived at the location you see above, Route 1031.  I wish I had some blue sky to work with, but the reflection in Tunkhannock Creek was better than usual.  Thank you, drought.  Low water.  No movement.  It was like a mirror.

The actual header photo was taken from the Route 11 side of the bridge.  Again, blue sky would have been nice, but I was okay with what I had.

As for the 24 mm lens, it gets a passing grade here, not much different from the kit lens.  More tests ahead.  Stay tuned.