Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Early Bird

 

If I didn't have so much other stuff to write about, I would have posted this on January 1.

I walked out to my car at 3 AM on New Year's Day, and there it was-- the unmistakable and pungent odor of skunk.

As I note every year, forget about the robin.  The skunk is the true sign of spring.  When they become active, looking for food and love, warmer weather is on the way.

New year's morning wasn't a one-time-only whiff.  I've detected the aroma a few times in recent days.

Part of me likes to believe an early spring is on the way, but as I look at the long range forecast, there are some frosty mornings ahead, including some single digit temperatures.  There is a lot of winter left.

The skunk as barometer might not be perfect, but a little nose hair curling stench is better than none at all.