Monday, May 19, 2008

Blame it on Rockwell


Just a couple more notes on the 25th college reunion that I blew off, and then I promise to move on.

The whole thing was bothering me, and I sat down for a while to try to figure it out.

The first part is the mere fact I'm old. I now work with people who were embryos when I graduated. Others were just a twinkle in their daddy's eye when I was handed my diploma.

I blame the rest on Norman Rockwell. I have a great family, but it's small. I never had those huge "Rockwellian" Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations famed in song and story. It used to get me down once in a while, but I realized I have to be happy for what I have, not unhappy because of what isn't there. There's not much I can do about having a small family, and I chose a line of work that has me in the office on most holidays.

The same goes for college... I went to a nice, little, liberal arts school. It wasn't one of those massive, ivy covered, fraternity and sorority filled, sweater wearing, football crazed institutions we see in movies-- the ones that seem to jump out from a Norman Rockwell work of art. I never developed a real bond with the school, and there are times I feel I missed something. That's the choice I made. My life is far from perfect, but I think I've done okay in some areas. Again, it's time to be happy for what I have, rather than wondering what might have been.
I did attempt a little re-union. There was an e-mail swap with a couple old friends, and that was nice. A phone call was made to a third. No answer. Maybe I'll try again.