Monday, May 12, 2008

You Do What You Can



Such a sad weekend...

More tornadoes in the midwest... As I type this, 23 are confirmed dead and the death toll is expected to grow.

On top of that, Myanmar struggles to recover from a cyclone. The confirmed death toll has topped 28,000 and it will be higher.

The National Association of Letter Carriers held its annual "Stamp Out Hunger" food drive Saturday. We're told donations were down a bit due to a tough economy. More people in need. Fewer prople in a position to give. Still, it was a tremendous effort. The letter carriers and all the donors ought to be congratulated.

The Luzerne County SPCA is running low on canned cat food. Please, give what you can.

So many people and organizations need help these days. It breaks your heart.

Try to remember it like this... a friend has suggested I volunteer at an animal shelter because I like cats and dogs. I replied that I don't think I could do it. I'd go home in tears every day, and with a car full of cats. My friend said that he and others make it work by focusing on the animals and people they can help. They do a lot of good, and that can't be ignored.

As you go through your day, remember you can't help everyone, but at least you can help someone. Even a little bit is worth something.