Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Customer is Always Right

We get a lot of complaints. It comes along with the territory when you work in broadcasting. I'm okay with that.


On the other hand...


A gentleman called me a couple weekends ago, in the middle of the night. He didn't have cable or a satellite dish. He was unhappy with our very early Sunday morning programming. I sympathized with him. If I had my way, we'd run "Barney Miller," "Night Court," and "WKRP in Cincinnati" all day and night. I listened to his complaint, and maybe his venting was therapeutic because he suddenly had an epihany. He realized that the person picking up the phone at a television station at 1:00 AM on a Sunday doesn't have the power to change programming. I'm glad I was there to help.


We've been getting a flood of e-mails about a television show called "Swingtown." Apparently, it's dirty. I kid you not when I say "flood." There have been dozens of anti-Swingtown e-mails received here at WNEP. The e-mails implore us not to run "Swingtown." No problem. WNEP will never air "Swingtown." Why? It's on CBS! This is America. The public owns the airwaves. You have the right to complain, but your complaint will be much more effective if you take the time to make sure it gets to the right people.