Monday, June 16, 2008

Jury Duty


It's the piece of mail that most people dread, and mine arrived a few weeks ago-- a jury duty summons.


Today was supposed to be my day. The summons contains a phone number. You're instructed to call a recording to see if the county needs you. I was part of pool "B." The recording said pool "B" is excused. I'm off the hook.


I'm probably the only person in the history of Lackawanna County to be disappointed to be excused from jury duty. I've been called twice before, and never chosen. I've covered courts on a fairly regular basis since 1981, and I'd really like to see what it's like on the other side. Deciding a life or death case doesn't appeal to me because that's a tremendous and frightening responsibility. However, I would like to learn what it's like to sit on a jury. I assume there will be other chances.


A few words about today's picture of the Lackawanna County Courthouse. The early morning sun and shadows were killing me, but I love the sky.