Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Don't Get It



The new slots parlor/restaurant/shopping center at Mohegan Sun in Plains Township opens tomorrow. I took this picture of the $200+ million dollar building last week, during the final phase of construction. It's spectacular from the outside, and I'm sure it's just as nice on the inside. If it delivers even half of what it promises, people will walk away pleased and impressed.

Having said that, here it comes. I had a few minutes to kill on a recent morning. I'd never gambled, so I decided to give the existing slots parlor at Mohegan Sun a try. I gave myself a $25 limit. I left after spending $10. The reason? I was bored out of my mind, and the experience didn't work for me. I just didn't enjoy sitting in darkened, windowless room. Playing the slots takes no skill. I tried several different machines. They all seemed the same. Press a button. Stare at the screen. Wait. Tedious.

I know people who love Mohegan Sun. I've met several people with the company. They've always been great to me. Mohegan Sun seems like an extremely well run enterprise. The new building is on my list of places to visit.

I guess I'm just not a gambler.