Monday, August 18, 2008

Unfinished Business


I went off on the Chinese government last week, and it's apparent fondness for violating the rights of its citizens. It prompted me to start Googling around, to see future Olympic sites.

Sochi, Russia gets the 2014 winter games. We've seen how well the Russians have been behaving lately.

The International Olympic Committee apparently has a fondness for scoundrel nations. What's next? Iran?

Also last week, I lamented the lack of compelling stories coming out of this year's Beijing games. My friend and colleague, Tom Williams, pointed out the Michael Phelps gold medal winning spree. Tom has a point. Phelps will go down in history as one of the best athletes ever-- any sport, any era.

One of my favorite blogs was dormant for a while, but the author has decided to get back in the business. If you enjoy local history, especially local retail history, check out www.wyomingvalleyphotos.blogspot.com.

As is my habit, I enjoy inflicting numbers upon you. Thursday was the 100th post since blog 2.0 made its debut in April. The previous blog version is gone forever, so I don't have an accurate count as to how many posts there have been since November 16th of 2004. My guess is it's around 1,000. The number of interesting and intelligent posts is considerably smaller.