Tuesday, August 12, 2008

World News



I've tried to watch the Olympics. I really have. I just can't get interested. NBC appears to be doing a good job, but they're trying to create drama where none exists. NBC is taking a page out of the Roone Arledge book and introducing us to the athletes "up close and personal." It's not working. There are no compelling stories. The network is also glossing over all China's issues, and that bothers me. Note to Bob Costas: it's okay to have a few grey hairs.

Two previous blog references: First, I worry about everything. Second, it's not what you say. It's what you do. Russia always says it wants to be a peaceful and productive member of the world community. It sure doesn't act that way. The Russia/Georgia conflict deeply disturbs me, and I really think this has the potential to become huge-- with other nations drawn in. World War III? No, I don't think so, but trust me. This is bad, and it's big.